MHSc How to Apply
Overview of the Admissions Process
The Department of Speech-Language Pathology will admit approximately 60 students to the MHSc program for the 2023 – 2024 academic year. Applications are submitted through the Ontario Rehabilitation Sciences Programs Application Service (ORPAS). Please refer to the ORPAS Application Guide for complete application details and instructions. The deadline to apply to the MHSc program for the 2023 – 2024 academic year is January 5, 2023.
The admission process is highly competitive due to the large volume of applications for a limited number of seats. Although the minimal requirement for applying to our program requires an average mid-B in the final year of undergraduate level studies, successful applicants typically have an A- average or higher in their last two years of study (i.e., 10 full credits).
Applications are reviewed by members of the Admission and Awards Committee and are ranked relative to other applications. The following two main criteria are taken into consideration during the assessment of an applicant’s file:
- The strength of the applicant’s previous academic background.
- Previous academic performance and overall quality of previous academic work are considered, as demonstrated by indicators such as coursework, grades or marks, scholarships or awards obtained and academic letters of reference.
- No single academic background is considered best suited as preparation for the study of speech‑language pathology.
- The applicant’s potential for clinical practice.
- Applicants are required to complete a minimum of 14 hours of volunteer or work experience in a clinical setting under the supervision of a qualified speech‑language pathologist.
- Potential for clinical practice is judged based on the extent and quality of the clinical experience and the letter(s) of recommendation from the clinical supervisor(s).
- In addition, indicators of excellence in interpersonal skills, as demonstrated in academic and extracurricular activities, are considered during the admission process.